enters 15 various mixed, ladies only and men only teams in five
different local leagues.
These cater for
different levels of ability and most emphasise participation and
enjoyment rather than competition and winning.
Past & present Presidents:
|2020 S. Ellis|
2019 A. Walker
2018 T. Holden
1994 P.Kershaw |
1968 G.J.Gardner |
1942 R.Western |
1931 A Gledhill
1930 A Gledhill
1917 - 1927 No information available
2006 – 09: Renovations
at the Clubhouse
|2017/18: Further Renovations to the Clubhouse
Commencing in 2017 and completing in Feb 2018, the club house was
completely redecorated and a conservatory added to the RHS frontage of
the club (photo across).
The President (Vaughan Murgatroyd) officially re-opened the club on
the10th of February 2018. The President can be seen cutting the ribbon
(photo below left) and the members can be seen toasting the re-opening
(photo below right).
centenary year |
In order to commemorate the centenary year the
club put up a clock above the clubhouse with funds raised through the
prize draw. On 25th May 2009 the unveiling ceremony took place.
February 2006 the then President , John Ingham, initiated major changes
clubhouse in four phases, which were completed in the Centenary Year.
foyer / entranceway at the South end of the club.
renovation of the Gents toilets.
of new kitchen in existing cards room.
bar as per plan to allow creation of new Lounge area.
addition to the above, the hut and surrounding area have been upgraded.
1988: Competetive Bowling
to 1988 members played socially and competitively against each other
not compete against other clubs.
the club decided to enter a team in the Halifax League on Wednesday
The first match was on April 20th 1988. Back then the Halifax Courier
gave much fuller reports on games than nowadays and the following,
condensed report appeared on the Bowls page on Saturday April 23rd
team went on to gain promotion to Division Seven finishing champions in
During the Sixties, the Club had around 200
members and a waiting list to join of 6-7 years. In those years the
and social elements of the club were a greater feature than they are
The Club was open six nights a week
(closing on Sundays) and the bar was open from
7pm to 10.30 pm. Most evenings there were
at least 30 members having a drink and playing snooker.
On Christmas Day the men would come to the
club for a lunchtime drink with the President. Wives, however, were
down on Boxing Day!
Ladies Day was held in the clubhouse with
Ladies’ bowls and cards in the evening.
The Annual Dinner also took place at the
clubhouse, when the snooker tables were dismantled and a proper sit
was served by Barkers of Hebden Bridge.
1923: New Pavilion
The next significant event was on 28th
August 1923, when the directors agreed to borrow £1,800 from the
Equitable Benefit Building Society over a 20 year period to build a new
pavilion. (The Equitable merged with the Permanent in 1928 to become
Halifax Building Society).
Snooker has been a longstanding part of social
events at Greenroyd. The two tables currently being used date back to
1914 – 18: The
first World War
the First World War many Greenroyd members fought. One person of note
Lieutenant George Ernest Lowe MC who fought on the Western Front in
He died aged 34 on 28 October 1918. Son of Elias and Grace Lowe, of
husband of Florence Lowe of 2, Heath Hall, Halifax,
he was laid to rest in the Montay-Neuvilly
Cemetery in Northern France (below).
died only two weeks before the signing of the Armistice on November
The plaque in the clubhouse (RHS) commemorates
both him and other members killed in action in the First World War
- 17: Membership of the Club
show that by 1910 there were 56 members, which by 1917 had risen to 84.
In the register of members the occupations
reveal a bygone age— skin dealer, coppersmith, confectioner, woollen
draper, cotton manufacturer, commercial traveller.
1911: Inter club Bowling
The first reference to bowling with other
clubs appears in the minutes of 6th March 1911, when it was agreed
‘friendly games’ with any club be arranged through the Secretary and
Committee”…..”and that fixtures be arranged with King Cross as
July 13th home, and that the secretary write to The
Halifax Club with a view to arranging a fixture with them”.
1912: Annual dinner
26th August 1912 the Committee agreed to start preparations
for the first
Dinner, which took place at the Pavilion on 10th October 1912. At
this time the main winter entertainment was the holding of whist drives.
Greenroyd Bowling Club |
A meeting of ‘interested persons’ took
place on 5th January 1909 when it was resolved “that the gentlemen
themselves into a Club to be called the Greenroyd Bowling Club. It was
resolved “that the Club Pavilion be opened at 9 a.m. and closed at 11
day, except Sundays”.
The first General Meeting took place on
18th January 1909, when Mr J Ingham Learoyd was elected as President (a
position that he held until 1913).
The pavilion was formally opened with a
smoking concert on 28th January 1909. The green was officially opened
26th 1909 and there was an article in the Evening Courier.
Bowling Club Limited
of ‘interested persons’ was held on 29th May 1908 at the offices of
Learoyd and Sons Ltd in Halifax. It was agreed to form Greenroyd
and purchase land belonging to J.H. Shaw at a price of £350
24th June 1908 the Committee considered tenders for
contracting the green. The tender of £125 submitted by Mr J. Parker was
accepted. It was further agreed to set up a company with £1,000 of
“that in connection with the above company a club be formed to be
Greenroyd Bowling Club; to consist of not more than 100 members, paying
annual subscription of £1.0.0. which will entitle each member to all
11th September 1908 at a meeting of the directors, a tender
from Parker Brothers was accepted “to erect a pavilion as good in every
as the one at Sowerby Bridge, but three feet
longer for the sum of ninety-five pounds”.
Bowling Club Company Limited was incorporated on 22nd
1908. At a directors meeting on 30th October 1908 Mr J.
Ingham Learoyd (see picture across) was appointed permanent chairman.
|The History of Greenroyd bowling club was written by Philip Shire and
edited by Vaughan Murgatroyd.
Club is available for sponsorship, contact 01422 353622 and ask to speak to a member of
2016 by Greenroyd Bowling Club